Monday, September 20, 2010

Food Rules

I'm reading a book called "Food Rules" by Michael Pollan right now. It's a really short read, but full of some good stuff on how to eat well. The points that are hitting home right now are....

* Avoid food products containing ingredients no ordinary human would keep in the pantry.
* Avoid food products containing high fructose corn syrup.
* Avoid foods that have sugar or a sweetener listed in the top 3 ingredients.

I'm excited to see how the inside of our pantry changes as we implement some of these rules. Specifically, I'm thinking I'm going to try to make more of the foods I typically buy processed. I won't be canning this year, but I'm hoping that by next year I will be able to source some good whole foods and can in preparation for the winter. Home canned food is just better.

No comments: