Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The House That Cleans Itself

I picked up this book at the Christian bookstore for $5 a little while ago and started reading it this week. It's interesting. One of the first things you do in the book is create a flow plan for all the areas of your house. I'm not sure exactly what we'll do with it just yet, but I did it. Well, I did it for the upstairs. I need to do it for the downstairs still. After you create the flow plan, you wait a few days and don't clean and just watch what sort of chaos your house falls into naturally. For me, all it took was one day. I took my pictures today, because my house seems pretty disastrous to me. I'm in the process of uploading them to the computer now, and then I will go through each picture and figure out what is out of place and WHY. That's a big part of figuring out how to get the house to clean itself - why does it fall apart now?

I will probably blog my findings and progress here, as well as do a book review when I'm finished. I've always been a Flylady gal myself, but I see some merits to this way of thinking, and it's not in direct opposition to Flylady, just more about the home organization than the behavior modification. I'm actually excited about the prospect and looking forward to seeing some improvement in my home. Especially if my house starts "cleaning" itself!

2 comments:

katieq said...

Hi Elizabeth! I'm very interested to hear what you think of this type of tool. It makes sense that there is a behavior that lends itself to house chaos (otherwise we wouldn't find ourselves with the same "hot spots"). Please keep posting! :)

Elizabeth Wickland said...

Hey Kate!! I am going to keep posting, but I have to warn you that you are going to get a very REAL look at my housekeeping shortcomings! I have a feeling this is going to be a LONG process, but I am excited to have a routine that flows WITH my natural tendencies instead of just trying to change what I do day in and day out!